- Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils
- Place of work:
- Endeavour House, Ipswich
- Salary details:
- £23,953 - £29,174 per annum (pro rata)
- Job term:
- Part Time
- 22.5 hours per week
- Closing date:
- 12 August 2022 01:00 PM
Full time, part time and job share opportunities will be considered.
We are looking for a Food and Safety Technical Officer to join our team in Food and Safety.
The successful person will share our values, commitment, and motivation to make a difference for our residents, clients, and communities.
About the role
You will carry out and be responsible for a range of technical and administrative duties in support of the Food and Safety regulatory service area, both in and out of the office.
- Collecting samples and information from premises and households, assist with food poisoning and private water supply investigations.
- Carrying out healthier catering award assessments of retail food businesses.
- Carrying out audit assessments of low risk food businesses.
- Carrying out caravan licence inspections and issue licences.
- Maintaining and updating computer-based and paper records including complex spreadsheets and produce reports from the data.
- Processing requisitions, invoices and payments for supplies and services, maintain equipment, stocks of consumables and work out low cost ways of replacing consumables for ongoing projects.
- The need to have a clean driving licence and access to a car to enable occasional travel for work purposes.
You will need:
- relevant qualifications at NVQ4 Level or equivalent knowledge gained through experience plus extended experience of working in a relevant similar role
- experience of liaising with external government agencies and customers in a service role
- experience of auditing, investigation and enforcement
- to be able to analyse and interpret varied information or situations and to solve problems
- use persuasive, negotiating and training skills e.g. aimed at seeking agreement/compromise or developing understanding of legal and technical guidance
- the ability to ask questions, seek clarification and exchange information using tact and diplomacy with a range of different people and groups.
- to have a thorough understanding of the wide range of services provided by the Food and Safety and service as well as a working understanding of the services provided by other parts of the Councils
- good administration skills including a knowledge of Assure and M3 software
- working knowledge of the broad and varied environmental health services, plus some technical skills requirement, which encompasses a range of tasks involving application of procedures and techniques specific to the service areas
- to be skilled in the management of aggression and sensitivity in dealing with the public and commercial operators, often in stressful and difficult situations
- good communication skills
- previous experience working in a customer orientated service.
Working together across our Councils and with our partners in the public, private and voluntary sectors, we provide excellent services to our 190,000 residents across Babergh and Mid Suffolk. We are proud of the role we play in creating the environment, economy, and communities for our districts.
We believe that the heart of Suffolk is an incredibly special place to live and work. With picturesque market towns, 60 conservation areas and with two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) within our districts, it is little wonder that we are consistently within the top 50 places to live in the UK.
Benefits of working with us
- Great opportunities for learning and development.
- Suffolk Coaching and Mentoring Partnership
- Generous leave entitlement (equivalent to 25 days a year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service, plus bank holidays).
- Competitive Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Wellbeing Support Program
- Employee Assist Program
- Health Care Options
Visit our Employee Benefits page for further information.
Our ways of working
Work is what we do, not where we go! We are committed to working in a more Hybrid way, with a mix of office, home, and remote based working (business needs permitting). This has worked well for us and is something we will be continuing with.
We are committed supporting equality and diversity, Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils provide opportunity and ambition for all, supporting and enabling our people to deliver the best possible service for our residents.
If you wish to discuss the Hybrid working approach for this role, or for an informal discussion, please contact Jo Wyatt - Assistant Manager Food, Safety and Licensing on 07889 647316 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 1pm, 12 August 2022.