- East Suffolk Council
- Place of work:
- Suffolk Coastal Port Health Authority, Felixstowe
- Salary details:
- £32,234 - £40,876 per annum plus shift allowance*
- Job term:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
- Fixed Term
- Closing Date
- 12 December 2021 01:00 PM
Authorised Officer - Port Health x 4 posts
£32,234 - £40,876 per annum plus shift allowance*
Fixed term for 18 months (with the potential to become permanent in the future)
37 hours per week on a rotational shift pattern*
Based at the Suffolk Coastal Port Health Authority, Felixstowe
Degree in Environmental Health or Higher Certificate in Food Control
Suffolk Coastal Port Health Authority is expanding! It is a really exciting time to be joining our Port health team as we transform our services in response to the UK’s departure from the European Union, recruiting an additional 60 team members.
Our mission is the protection of public and animal health, carrying out a range of checks to ensure imported goods are safe for all of us in the UK. To find out more about what our skilled team do, have a look at our video here. To become part of our team, you will be enthusiastic, keen to learn and thrive on working in a fast-paced environment.
Your role will be to work with our existing Authorised Officers/Port Health Officers in carrying out various checks on imported products (including fish and organic items) to ensure they are safe for distribution in the UK. You will also protect international health by monitoring health conditions on board ships in order to prevent disease. You will have the opportunity to work under your own initiative but also with others as part of our friendly team.
This is a career graded post, and the responsibilities of the role will be undertaken at a level appropriate to the postholder’s qualifications, experience, and competence, as laid out in the job description. It will be essential to have either a degree or equivalent Level 6 qualification in Environmental Health, or a Higher Certificate in Food Control with 3 years’ previous experience in food and safety field.
* After initial training you will participate in a 24/7 rota (day and night shifts), which will attract a 23.5% shift allowance on top of the base salary. This will be worked on a 12-hour rotating shift pattern (5 days on, 6 days off, 5 nights on, 6 days off), offering attractive work life balance. As this is a new service, the shift pattern will be kept under regular review to ensure it meets operational needs.
Why work for us?
East Suffolk Council is a great place to work and there are lots of benefits our employees can access. To find out more about why we are so proud of East Suffolk Council and to hear why our employees think it is such a great place to work, take a look at our video.
Here are some of the main benefits:
- Opportunities for training and development to enable you to build a great career with our organisation.
- Attractive work life balance with the added benefit of 6 non-working days between shifts.
- Generous leave entitlement (equivalent to 24 days a year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service)
- Local government pension scheme
- Free car parking.
- Discounts on mobile phones, computers, holiday and travel, fashion and clothing, health & beauty and many other products and services
If you would like to be at the forefront of this exciting new service, we look forward to receiving your application.
Please read the job description and person specification before applying for this job.
For an informal discussion or if you have any questions regarding this post, please contact Steve Dearsley on 01394 613330 or email HR@eastsuffolk.gov.uk.
Closing Date: Friday 12th December 2021