- Sidegate Primary School
- Place of work:
- Salary details:
- £18,611 - £19,171 pro rata
- Job term:
- Part Time
- Fixed Term
- Closing date:
- 20 June 2019 09:00 AM
Required from September 2019; fixed term until 31 August 2020.
32.5 hpw. (FTE salary)
Job shares will be considered, please specify your preferred hours on the application form.
Sidegate is a vibrant 3 form entry primary school in the north of Ipswich. The school hosts a 25 place Specialist Support Centre for pupils with moderate learning difficulties, giving approximately 655 pupils on roll. The school boasts large grounds, an indoor swimming pool, gymnasium and excellent ICT provision. We pride ourselves in the broad and engaging curriculum we offer our pupils; sport and culture
feature highly and are used to enhance the curriculum in all areas. The school received a "Good" Ofsted rating in April 2017.
Sidegate became an academy in May 2014 with The Active Learning Trust (ALT). ALT allow each of their schools to develop a curriculum that meets the needs of the pupils in the school. They work closely with the school, providing specialist advisory support as necessary. We work closely with other schools in the ALT Ipswich Hub and the Northgate Pyramid of Schools.
Teaching assistants at Sidegate work in conjunction with class teachers and / or SENDCo to provide carefully targeted support to individuals and small groups, using precision teaching, pre-teaching, structured intervention programmes and in-class support. Training for these approaches is available in-house.
We are recruiting for Teaching Assistants to work with a range of pupils across the school.
- work alongside the teacher to create an effective environment for maximising pupil progress and learning
- take responsibility for leading the learning of individuals and groups
- explain things to pupils clearly and concisely, adapting key messages to individual learning needs including literacy, language and communication skills
- think ahead - predict where the child / group / class will need your help as the lesson continues so that you can show readiness and forethought in planning for your support in the session
- confidently give feedback to pupils during the learning activity to encourage their participation and development of skills for independent learning
- provide appropriate feedback to the teacher on key issues
- be aware of supporting pupils' ownership of the task rather than creating over-dependency
- take responsibility for modelling and rewarding good and courteous behaviour in accordance with the school's behaviour policy
- constantly reinforce the values of good behaviour for learning in support of the teacher's aims for the lesson and the class/group, as well as at breaks and lunch times
- demonstrate, by your actions and expectations, that you value good relationships between pupils, accentuate positive behaviours, and exercise appropriate authority by acting to correct when necessary
- foster a trusting environment so that pupils feel you are open to listening to them and helping them solve their problems
- ask open and constructive questions to gain understanding about what the teacher needs pupils to achieve
- be watchful and observant about circumstances where pupils' pace of learning or attention could be an issue and take appropriate action to address this
- work constructively with the teacher to differentiate appropriately between the relative strengths of pupils so that they can be supported effectively.
Visits to the school are welcome, and encouraged, to arrange an appointment please contact the school.
An application pack can be downloaded from the related information section.
Completed application forms should be returned, along with a covering letter, to Toni Cornish, PA to Headteacher, via email at: email@example.com or by post to Sidegate Primary School, Sidegate Lane, Ipswich IP4 4JD
Interview dates: 24 and 27 June 2019.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS checks or police vetting will be required for relevant posts.