- South Norfolk and Broadland Councils
- Place of work:
- Ketteringham Depot, Ketteringham
- Salary details:
- £19,100 - £19,960 per annum
- Job term:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
- Closing date:
- 05 October 2022 11:30 PM
Do you have as much enthusiasm as our customers?
To be part of the Ketteringham Depot Team, charged with maintain the street scene within the District, to an excellent standard and responding to additional requests. If you value the environment and enjoy physical activity and the opportunity to work outdoors, then read on...
What you could be part of…
Our fantastic team provides street cleansing duties across the district of South Norfolk removing all wastes both manually and mechanically. You will be responsible for the emptying of litter and dog bins and conducting activities to collect and minimise litter. You will be required to clean our pavements, cycle paths and foot pathways both manually and mechanically.
Working at the Council enables you to be part of an organisation which is proud to deliver high-quality, customer focussed services. Our success comes from us being commercially astute and business-like. Continuous improvement is also vital and we challenge ourselves to develop new and innovative ways to improve the services that make a real difference to people’s lives.
What you’ll be doing…
- To be an effective street cleansing team member, working independently or as part of a team, providing the highest quality service and ensuring that cleansing standards and response times are met.
- Where requested to drive vehicles or mechanical sweepers, to drive in a competent manner ensuring that the work is completed to a high standard, while complying with the highway code and as not to interfere with other motorists or pedestrians.
- To manually cleanse with brooms and shovels all litter and detritus, including the removal of all fly tipped materials including hypodermic needles and the removal of dead animals from the councils’ streets or open spaces.
- Empty litter and dog bins.
- To sweep and/or wash down pavements, roadways and street furniture using mechanical sweeping equipment and manual methods.
- The role will require a high level of physical effort working outdoors for most of the day, with the majority of the work each day involving lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending and walking long distances.
- Flexibility will be require to meet the service needs at all times. This will mean working evenings and weekends and may mean working beyond normal working hours and undertaking overtime when requested.
You must have…
- Hold a full driving license – Category B entitlement. Additionally a Category C1 entitlement is highly desirable but not essential.
- Demonstrate and understanding of health and safety requirements relating to the work involved
- Demonstrable evidence of keeping basic records and communicating with the general public
- Physically fit, able to lift heavy weights and walk long distances
- Knowledge and ability to assess road conditions to minimise traffic disruption
- Capable of driving a compact sweeper or prepared to train
- Capable of work effectively as part of a team as well as independently
What’s in it for you…
Our package includes:
- 25 days holiday increasing to 28 days after 5 years’ service plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time employees)
- Opportunity to work your hours flexibly to improve your work life balance (where operationally possible)
- Employer pension contributions of 15% with the option to make additional voluntary contributions
- Access to our One Team Rewards scheme including discounts in high street shops and restaurants, employee assistance programme, cycle to work scheme and a car lease scheme.
- Payroll giving scheme
- Refer a friend scheme
- Regular reviews with your line manager, develop a personal development plan, as well as opportunities to undertake personal professional development training
- Compassionate leave and sickness entitlement for times of need
- Support towards volunteering days in the community and encouragement to be involved with fun activities to raise money for local and national charities.
You may still have questions about the role and can contact Damion Webb on firstname.lastname@example.org or Paul Gallagher on email@example.com to answer these for you.
Advertising internally and externally – If external, please apply via our website. If internal, please apply via submitting your expression of interest to the relevant recruiting manager, a template for an expression of interest can be found on Connect.
Closing date: 5 October 22 however the advert may close sooner if the correct candidate is identified.
Interview date: Post 5 October 22
If you want to learn more about the Councils, then please visit our joint website- South Norfolk and Broadland District Councils Website