- South Norfolk and Broadland Councils
- Place of work:
- South Norfolk House, Long Stratton; The Boathouse Business Centre, Wisbech
- Salary details:
- £32,219 - £47,587 per annum
- Job term:
- Full Time
- 37 Hours per week
- Fixed Term
- Closing date:
- 03 July 2022 11:30 PM
We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven Building Control Surveyor, from assistant level upwards, to join our commercially driven team. We are a forward-thinking Local Authority Building Control partnership working across five local authorities in East Anglia. Providing a friendly and supportive team environment to work in and develop your career. We embrace digital and remote flexible working.
What you could be part of…
We believe in a collaborative partnership approach to building control. We are innovative and pioneering with full digital and mobile working platforms, enabling you to achieve a work-life balance. We are committed to developing our staff, you will be able to build on your existing qualifications and experience.
Working at the Council enables you to be part of an organisation which is proud to deliver high-quality, customer focussed services. Our success comes from us being commercially astute and business-like. Continuous improvement is also vital, and we challenge ourselves to develop new and innovative ways to improve the services that make a real difference to people’s lives.
What you’ll be doing…
- Administer and enforce building regulations and associated legislation, including:-
- examine and comment on plans for new buildings, alterations or extensions,
- making regular inspections of building work at various stages of construction,
- issuing approval to start building work and completion certificates,
- approving demolitions etc.
- Provide advice on construction safety matters, new building regulations etc. and advise on cost and time saving measures during construction that are compliant with safety regulations.
- Manage a portfolio of ‘partner companies’ with Local Authority Building Control and act as a single point of contact for their residential and commercial projects.
- Support the LABC Partner Authority Scheme (PAS).
- Build and develop effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including local authorities, planners, surveyors and other professionals, as well as special interest groups e.g. heritage organisations.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of building control legislation and regulations, new products and construction techniques relevant to the UK.
- Attend dangerous structures and take appropriate action in accordance with the Building Act, during normal working hours and on an out of hours rota.
- Provide surveying services and technical support, as required.
You must have…
- 2 years minimum experience in a building control surveying role within a Local Authority Building Control or Approved Inspector environment with at least a Level 4 Qualification on NQF in a relevant construction related discipline.
- 5 years minimum experience in a relevant construction related discipline with at least a Level 5 Qualification on NQF in a relevant construction related discipline.
- Membership of a recognised professional body such as; Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Association of Building Engineers (CABE).
- Full UK (or equivalent) driving licence.
- Capability to apply a practical approach to the interpretation of the Building Regulations and associated legislation including the ability to tackle challenges in a constructive and responsible manner.
- Demonstrable capability to negotiate and influence others to achieve desired outcomes.
- Capability to prepare and present specialist information and advice on complex issues and deal with any subsequent enquiries with fairness, tact and impartiality.
- Awareness of Health and Safety legislation in the context of carrying out site inspections and dealing with dangerous structures.
- Demonstrable evidence of excellent customer care skills.
What’s in it for you…
Our package includes:
- 25 days holiday increasing to 28 days after 5 years service plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time employees)
- Opportunity to work your hours flexibly to improve your work life balance (where operationally possible)
- Employer pension contributions of 15% with the option to make additional voluntary contributions
- Access to our One Team Rewards scheme including discounts in high street shops and restaurants, employee assistance programme and car lease scheme – with more to come!
- Payroll giving scheme
- Regular reviews with your line manager, develop a personal development plan, as well as opportunities to undertake training
- Compassionate leave and sickness entitlement for times of need
- Support towards volunteering days in the community and encouragement to be involved with fun activities to raise money for local and national charities.
You may still have questions about the role and can contact Steve Fulcher on 01508 533983 to answer these for you.
Please apply online for this role via our website.